Help us grow our tenant-powered movement and fight for housing as a human right for all
VTU members organize within neighborhood chapters and working groups. Below are some basic descriptions of each group and opportunities to get involved.
Questions? Send us an email: [email protected]
Neighbourhood chapters consist of VTU members and tenants organizing at a neighbourhood level to build connection and solidarity amongst neighbours at a local level.
Currently Active Local Chapters:
- East Side: [email protected]
- Fairview: [email protected]
- Mt. Pleasant: [email protected]
Membership Organizing And Tenant Solidarty (MOATS)
The purpose of MOATS is to educate and agitate members, especially those looking to learn more about renters' rights and how to organize with our neighbours.
We do things like:
- Strategize and create educational materials to support VTU members
- Create and lead workshops on organizing and tenant rights
Want to learn more? Contact the Membership Team Rep: [email protected]
The VTU Comms Team is responsible for both internal (membership), and external (social media, press) communications. Working closely with other VTU Working Groups, Comms team members help develop and implement outreach strategy for events, campaigns and more.
First-time volunteers might help with:
- Designing a poster or graphic
- Capturing an event with photo or video
- Covering an event and writing a piece for our blog/newsletter
Other volunteer opportunities include:
- Managing social media accounts
- Writing press releases
- Composing member email newsletters & website updates
- Developing communications and campaigns strategy
- Translating VTU materials to other languages
Want to learn more? Contact the Comms Team Rep: [email protected]
Data Tools Working Group
The Data Tools Working Group uses data as a resource for tenants in their struggle against the increasing precariousness of the housing situation in Vancouver. We organize on Discord. *VISIT THE MICRO-SITE HERE*
First-Time volunteers might help with:
- Researching/amalgamating data online
- Coding (beginners and experts alike are welcome)
- Other web/digital projects in the VTU
Want to learn more? Contact the Datatools Team Rep: [email protected]
Defend Broadway Working Group
Join members of Fairview Chapter, Mt. Pleasant Chapter, and other VTU volunteers in educating, organizing, and mobilizing tenants along Broadway to fight against housing speculation, gentrification, and "transit-oriented displacement". Members of this working group help strategize, plan, and carry out tenant-led campaigns by coordinating with all parts of the union.
To learn more contact: [email protected]