Here's what happened at our General Meeting on April 29th [exactly one year after our launch in 2017] at Red Gate...
Item 1: Territorial Acknowledgement & welcome from Molly Billows and Audrey Seigel:
"To the people who are volunteering - who are taking time away from their families, their homes, their work and their personal time - know that you are making a difference,"
"Now gentrification and rent increases and renovictions are effecting pretty much everybody. Those lines are fading. As some will say, the veil is thinning; the walls are coming down. I see that as an opportunity for people to mobilize and unite."
- Audrey Seigel
Item 2: Community Agreements, (which will be re-iterated at all our meetings):
1. One-mic - means to respect each others speaking time.
2. Speak Up/Listen Up - means that people who are comfortable should step up on their listening skills and people who tend not to speak should step up speaking more.
3. Break It Down - explaining words or phrases that are unclear/ inaccessible.
4. Respect Each Other - oppressive behaviour will not be tolerated.
5. Challenge Ideas, Not People - disagreements should be expressed with what people have said and not the people themselves.
6. Be Present
7. Take Care Of Yourself - do what is best for your physical and emotional well being
Item 3: Advocacy Rounds
[Confidential - VTU does not publish names of meeting attendees or their tenancy situations]
Item 4: Working Group Reports
- Steering Committee - Process on decision making and/or voting accountability
- Policy Team: Endorsement of VTU policy platform/recommendations for provincial Renters Task Force [Carried]
- Constitution & Bylaws Working Group: Amendments to Bylaws [Carried].
C&B will now move ahead with registering VTU under Societies Act
- Finances: Brief update on current finances & reminder for annual membership renewal in July for all members who signed up in 2017
Item 5: Community Announcements
- TRAC Workshop for VTU members on May 7th @ 7pm (Four Sisters Housing Co-op)
- Introduction of Allie, and artist working with the VTU & 221a Library to create a graphic comic about tenants rights & organizing
Item 6: Breakout Group Discussions
- Outreach & Advocacy
- Rent/Vacancy Control Campaign
- Membership Team
Item 7: Anniversary Party!
*THANKS TO RED GATE ARTS SOCIETY FOR HOSTING OUR MEETING. THEY ARE BEING RENOVICTED BY CHIP WILSON'S PROPERTY COMPANY - SOLIDARITY*
NEXT GENERAL MEETING: JUNE 23rd